Saturday, February 11, 2017

Evaluating Impacts on a Professional Level

With so much going on right now in our society and the tensions of how our political system is being run and how blatant racism is being displayed and how government is showing that anyone that doesn't look like them, have money like them or have the same beliefs than them do not belong here.  I am very disappointed in the societal systems that are plaguing our nation right now.  I have been racially profiled before, I have been called the "N" word before, I have heard the statement, "go back to where you came from" in which I replied to the person, "you do the same as your ancestors are not from here either." Sometimes I have to watch what I say at times as my daughters have been with me during some of these exchanges, and it is always a hard conversation to have when they are wondering why people have to be that way and I always tell them that racism is a taught behavior, no one is born being racist or knowing the difference between white or black.  This is why I feel it is so imperative that more colleges and universities implement cultural diversity courses in their programs so that incoming professional will know how to handle these situations in the programs. So many professionals do not know how to talk to parents of a different race, culture and religious belief. Some professional I have worked with couldn't even associate a child's behavior based off their environmental circumstances and not willing to look deeper based off their own personal biases toward a certain race and socioeconomic status.

As a professional it is our job to know how to handle the many different scenarios that may present themselves.  Even though I have experienced racism doesn't mean I should bring that animosity into the program that I work for. What I can do though is make sure I have the necessary tools to help a child that may either experience racism or may repeat hurtful words that they may hear.  Our own personal experiences with isms should stay outside of the programs and classrooms; what we should take from that is the lessons we want to try to teach the children to let them carry it on. Make that difference in a child's life to help them embrace everyone.  No matter how hard it maybe to keep personal and professional separate, we have to use our experiences as a learning tool and a stepping stone to educate and make others better.

3 comments:

  1. Comesha--

    I totally agree with you about needing to implement classes/trainings regarding diversity. Let me be honest, I come from a small, rural, caucasian community and as a child growing up never encountered diversity to speak of. My first real encounter came at the university level and over the years has been broadened as diversity continues to grow. I would have definitely benefited as a student had my teachers learned how to educate my peers and me about differences in the world as well as when I became an educator, learning about how to deal with diverse situations. I fortunately never had any real issues with acceptance of any people with diverse background and have made some wonderful friends from many different nationalities! The sad reality is I had to go about learning how to interact and respond to diversity all on my own. If I would have had some education about differences I would have been farther ahead at a younger age.
    Thank you for your thoughts,
    Heidi Law

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comesha,
    As I reflect, I cannot think of many reasons why anything an educator may be going through should result in consequences of a child or their family. As educators, it is important for us to understand that whatever we go through in our personal life, has to be left at the door; especially negativity. We cannot allow our own issues to interfere with our interactions with the children throughout the day. Working within the community that I do, I always keep in mind that in many cases, my positive interactions with a child may be their only positive reaction within that day. That is my motivation to give them everything that I have. Even on days when I feel I have nothing to give they inspire me to dig deep and pull it out in spite of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Comesha,
    I agree that more diversity classes should be incorporated into college programs before becoming a professional. I have definitely been where you have with racism. Yes it is 2017 and it still isn’t easy living in the south. I agree that racism is taught and when you know better you do better. People should learn how to treat one another despite their background. As educators we must learn how to control our behavior and realize that it is not about us and we should leave our feelings at the door.

    ReplyDelete