Tuesday, December 13, 2016

What I Have Learned


My hope is that I have become a much better professional after taking this course, that I have learned by digging deeper with understanding biases and lifestyles that I am normally unfamiliar with. I hope that the information that I take away from this course can help me translate and inform what Anti-Bias Early Childhood Education looks like and how in the field we can continue to move forward in continuing to learn and grow as professionals. Self-awareness is what I gained, and what I hope to demonstrate while working with children and families and to show them that I embrace their individuality and I welcome them and include them in the programs environment.









My goal when it comes to diversity, equity and social justices is to make sure that as a professional I show everyone I come into contact with the same dignity and respect I ask of. I want to show professionals that they are a big part of making sure the children we work with know equality and know what inclusion feels like and to know that we are all equal no matter what our background and socioeconomic status may be.  To show children that speaking up for your fellow man is OK and that it is the right thing to do. No one has the right to say who is equal and who is not, especially when we are all equal in Gods eyes.  

I want to say Thank You to all my fellow colleagues in this class that shared their stories, who admitted to their biases and who dug deeper to reflect on those biases and set goals to work toward those biases. That is the first step to becoming a remarkable professional in the field of early childhood education.  When you know better, you do better....this is what my Grandmother has always taught us. I love the quote by Gandhi,

I challenge you to be this change and watch how your example will touch someone, and even if it only changes one person, you touched someone and that is a start. Good luck to you all in your continued journey of higher education and learning, it has been a pleasure being in this class with you all.  Have a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!

2 comments:

  1. Comesha--

    The very first quote you posted strikes a major cord with me. I feel as though those are the words I needed to hear/read. I say that because going through this process of anti-bias education and self-reflection I have made many mistakes that many times I didn't even realize I was making until I had to take a closer look at myself. But, having that underlying knowledge, that mistakes are okay and can be teachable moments and realities, allows me to continue this long journey to anti-bias ways of the world. Thank you for reiterating that mistakes do happen and can be a fabulous learning tool throughout the journey of this thing we call life!! I also want to say thank you for all your insight throughout this course and good luck in your future endeavors! Have a Merry Christmas and a fabulous 2017 and beyond!!

    Heidi Law

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Comesha

    I agree with Heidi that the first quote is very powerful. Sometimes we have to make a mistake to understand and become aware of how to correct it. I want to thank you for all of your great stories that you have shared, I have enjoyed reading them. I also want to wish you the best of luck in everything you do.

    ReplyDelete