Thursday, September 8, 2016

The show I decided to watch was called Superstore; it is based out of a Cloud 9 Superstore that has some very interesting employees. So I watched the first episode which was the pilot episode and I will give you my take on each character with the volume off. The guy in the wheelchair seemed to have a very cordial relationship with all the other employees, the second to the left is named Mateo and he communicated with Ramona the female employee in the middle most of the show, so I suspected they were close.  Mateo had some feminine mannerism, how he walked, how he swished his hips when he walked how he stood in certain positions and he talked with his hands.  Employee third from left is named Jonah and from interactions with the supervisor on far right; he was a new employee, he also was talking to Ramona a lot through the show and I could tell he was a little more interested in her on a romantic level. Ramona seemed to be the focal point of the show and so her relationship with each employee was very boss like, she seemed to be the take charge type just by watching her body language. The store manager which is the gentlemen on the right seemed very conservative just by his interactions. He didn't seem to have a one on one relationship with the employees in this episode, he did have two different staff meetings.  The young lady on the right in the pink is pregnant and just her interactions showed she was a bubbly individual and was that way with all the staff, especially Ramona. The female employee on the far right obviously had a crush on the new guy Jonah but she seemed to have some tom boy mannerisms about her. The reason I knew some of the names was that they had their names on their name tags.

So once I watched the show with the volume my assumptions were pretty on point except for Ramona. The employee in the wheelchair was the employee that was laid back, he was the employee who was behind the return counter and used the intercom as his personal platform.  Mateo spoke with a high pitched voice and his mannerisms are very flamboyant and he is pure entertainment and he was also a new employee, but when watching the show without sound you couldn't tell. Jonah as expected has a major crush on Ramona who by the way is not her real name. Her name is Amy and she has some secrets they just haven't been revealed.  The store manager is a devote christian who wants to pray and read his bible at staff meetings.  The pregnant girls is just as I described and the other female manager reminds me of the awkward female that wants to be feminine but doesn't quite know how to be.

I found this assignment a lot of fun and really interesting. Watching a show you have never seen and trying to assume who the characters are by watching non verbal ques was great. After watching the first episode I may watch the whole first season as the characters have me interested in getting to know them.

4 comments:

  1. Comesha,
    I thought this assignment was interesting too. I think it's amazing how much you were able to figure out about the employees with the sound off. I find myself doing this exercise frequently when I'm out in public (ex. watching other families, couples, or groups of people)and trying to figure out what their stories are. I love people watching...that's what this assignment most reminded of.
    meg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megan, I actually people watched at the college union during my lunch break and I found it very interesting what you see and hear when you are paying attention to others you otherwise would not.

      Delete
  2. Comesha,
    As I was reading your post I was thinking how she know their names and she can’t hear the show. Then you said they had name tags and it made sense. I never heard of this show but it seems interesting by how you described it. I noticed you got a lot of nonverbal communications from watching the show without the volume, and you were on point 90% of the time. Did you feel frustrated watching the television show with the volume on mute? If so why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Regina, I did at first but some of the scenes had so much action to it that I actually caught myself laughing even though I didn't know what was being said. Facial expressions and hand gestures were very good in this show it was somewhat easy to figure out who most of the characters were. This show I had never heard of but will be watching it when I get some time.

      Delete