Friday, July 15, 2016

Research that Benefits Children and Families



I do not have any personal experiences or stories to tell about how research has touched the life of someone I know. There is so many things I would like to see changed and hope that research will finally find ways to eliminate. To name a few from my personal experiences with family are cancer, Alzheimer's and ways to better help the mentally ill.  Well, now that I am writing this I would like to take the "I do not know anyone personally" statement back and talk about my cousin who has a daughter with a rare form of Leukemia that can cause other forms of cancer to develop. Research is currently helping her find different ways to help reduce the risks of other cancers but the Leukemia itself is not a curable one.  So I can see research benefiting her with the other ailments that she suffers from.  My cousin is willing to try anything as long as it helps her daughter and doesn't pose a significant risk to her already failing health.

As far as early childhood is concerned there is so much research that can be done and is currently being done that benefits children and families.  The Early Head Start program is a continuous program that provides services and research at the same time. The data collected on how this program benefits 3 year old and how they develop cognitively, socially and academically, is still being gathered. This program also points out how parents who participant in the program are becoming more self sufficient with a better home life environment by just being participants in the Early Head Start program.



U.S. Department of Health and Human Services

3 comments:

  1. Hi Comesha,

    I hope that through research, researchers will find a cure for cancer. Also, I hope that everyone works out for your relative's daughter, and she will have a long and fun life. I agree that Early Head Start does benefit children and their families. It gives children a just start for school. Research is an ongoing process, and I am looking for miracles to happen for the world to change for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comesha,
    Your sharing about your relatives daughter having cancer and how she is willing to do anything to help her daughter brought to mind that my sister just was diagnosed with breast cancer. I can now relate to wanting to do whatever is necessary to help find a cure as long as the patient understands the risk and the benefits of possible using experimental new drugs that come on the market. I love my sister with all my heart and definitely want to see her cured.
    You also mentioned Head Start and how it has been a benefit to children and families. I so agree with you on that. My nephew was one of the first in our family to benefit from attending a head start program. He may not necessarily be included in the research results for working with high risk students but he is living proof of the benefits of intervention of early education. He graduated high school with honors, attended college, graduated in the top of his class and is now a teacher himself. Great success story to me of how intervention in early education helped. Mainly due to his attending Head Start.

    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Comesha,

    I agree with you on finding a cure for both diseases. Sorry to hear about your cousin's daughter. I pray that find a cure for her. I really do appreciate her willingness to do whatever she can to help. I will keep them in my prayers. It breaks my heart when you have to see anyone go through all the pain, but especially children. Be encouraged!

    ReplyDelete