Friday, May 6, 2016

Establishing Professional Contacts 
and
Expanding Resources



The two professional contacts I sought for information was UNICEF and I emailed their headquarters in Ghana, Africa and the National Black Child Development Institute. I chose these two professionals because I am very interested in knowing what kinds of programs and services they provide for the children in Africa and the National Black Child Development Institute on what their perspectives are in the field.  I have yet to hear back from these professionals but I am hoping they will get back to me and give me some very interesting insight on the program.

The newsletter I chose to subscribe to was National Association of Child Care Resource and Referral Agencies. I chose to subscribe to this one for personal reasons. I want to keep up with what is going on government wise with the childcare field. In March the project I worked for was told that our contract would not be continued for the next fiscal year and June 30th myself and my coworkers were told we would not have jobs. It shocked us for sure because our project held out state accountable for quality in childcare and provided technical assistance to help our providers use best practices in their facilities. So I want to be able to keep up with how our government values our profession.

The website I chose is a different website than the newsletter. I chose Harlem Children's Zone. I was very interested in how they have grown and are helping their community one block at a time. "The Harlem Children's Zone has always been a driven by the belief that the success of our children and the strength of the community go hand and hand.  Their needs are inseparable and must be addressed together in order to break the cycle of generational poverty and give our kids a real shot at the American dream."  This is the opening statement you read when reading about the history of this program. This statement piqued my interest in getting to know more about what this program does for it's community. I am looking forward to providing more insight about this website in future blog post.

References

Harlem Children's Zone  http://hcz.org/

National Association of Child Care Resource and Referral Agencies  http://capwiz.com/naccrra/mlm/verify/



6 comments:

  1. Hi Comesha! Great post! We both chose Harlem Children's Zone!! They are doing great things! I look forward to exchanging information with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Quintina,
      The programs is doing some wonderful things and I love seeing programs like this thrive in areas were it is needed most. I look forward to exchanging information with you as well.

      Delete
  2. Comesha,
    I'm hoping that you will hear back from the two professional organizations that you have chose that you would like to know more about the trends and issues in those countries.
    I look forward to reading your blog.

    Emma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma,

      I have not yet heard back from either one. I may have to try another professional organization.

      Delete
  3. Comesha,

    Interesting choices, I am excited to learn from the different contacts people have chosen. I am still waiting to hear back from my contacts as well, but I am hopeful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      Same here, I am hopeful that I will hear back soon, but as of today have not heard from anyone. Good luck

      Delete