Friday, April 8, 2016

My Supports



Family, Friends, Co-workers and yes even my ex-husband are contributors to my daily support system.  Without my family I do not know where I would be. My two spiritual teachers; my Grandmother and my Aunt. When I feel as if my faith is wavering I call upon those two strong women to help get me back on track.  My friends are my advocates and voice of reason at times where I feel lost in life. My co-workers are like second family to me and without them to help balance the chaos and frustrations on the job it could turn into a very stressful situation.  My family, friends, co-workers and my ex-husband were also at the hospital with me when I had my two minor heart attacks in September of 2015 at the age of 33, right before my 34th birthday. My children were very well taken care of while I spent a week in the hospital. My home was looked after. I know that whenever crisis shows up out of nowhere I have a great support team to lean on. Now some people could say that me and my ex-husband have a very unorthodox kind of relationship. We are adults that have two precious girls to take care of and it is called co-parenting. Just because we are divorced and couldn't get it right between us doesn't mean that we can't get it right for our girls and show them a positive relationship.  My ex-husband is a wonderful father and for that he has been a great support system.

I have a background in social work as well as early childhood. I have always said to myself when working with clients that I could be in their situation at any moment in life. So to hear some of the stories of these single mothers that do not have anyone, I do not know what I would do. I am a very resourceful person and could probably manage okay without the help of others but I wouldn't chose it on my own. Support systems are a vital part of being able to function in a world that can be cruel and harsh. If I did not have the people I do in my life today then those times my spiritual compass was going astray I would not have the closest women to talk to, if I did not have my ex-husband my children would not have a father, if I did not have my co-workers then the day I had my heart attack no one would of been around because I was at work when it happened. If I didn't have my two best friends then my voices of reason would not exist.  I am blessed beyond measure to have the people that I do in my life. 


4 comments:

  1. Comesha,

    Family is my number one support system also. I am also very fortunate that I can count on my co-workers to support me and believe in me. My family, co-workers, superiors, and families at my center encourage me and are by my side when ever I need them. Support is what makes us who we are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comesha,
    Sorry to hear about your two heart attacks, but I am glad you are doing well. I am glad you have your grandmother and aunt as a part of your support system. Grandmothers are some really precious jewels to have! What really touched me most about your blog post is the relationship you have with your ex husband. WOW! I think it is amazing to be able to call upon him and he is there for you. I also like the fact that you guys can be co-parents, even though things did not work out between you. Excellent blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Comesha!

    I believe that family support is the best support that you can get from anyone because it shows that you have love one who wants to see you succeed. Much success to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Comesha! I like what you said about the possibility of being in the same situation as clients you have worked with. I have been in many situations in the past that I share with some of my clients today as motivation to not give up and never feel like they are "stuck". I hope I never have to go through those expereicnes again, but you are right you never know what may happen tomorrow. Having family support is very important to me today because regardless of what happens to me I know there are people who are looking out for me and for my children. I also have support from my higher power and through Him I believe that I will be successful and this motivates me to continue in the pursuit of my academic, personal and professional goals. Thank you for your post, it really touched me.
    Myra

    ReplyDelete