Saturday, March 26, 2016

My Connections To Play


Mr. Rogers Neighborhood was my favorite show growing up as a child. I didn't miss an episode. My grandmother would make sure before we did anything I got to watch my show. I love this quote by him about play because it states the best meaning of play for children that I have ever heard.


This quote makes me think of how today's society is making children grow up so fast and not allowing them to be children and enjoy those years. Play gives children joy and excitement and many opportunities to learn.

 
Barbie dolls were my one true passion growing up. I loved all things Barbie and I still do. Name it I had it. I have been collecting Holiday Barbies since I was 6 years old. My closet is currently the storage area for all my collectible Barbie dolls. My Grandmother supported my love for barbie and made sure I had the most up-to-date barbie house and car and accessories and I had all the boy barbies as well. Ken, Steven and Alan!!! LOL The mere fact I am 34 years old and still know their names is such a wonderful childhood memory for me. I would play for hours and hours on end, I even made my brother play with me, and he will even tell you himself. I can remember the resistance from my brother but I would always agree to play Ninja Turtles with him if he played with me. Pretty good compromise.  The new barbies that have come out in all shapes, sizes and shades of skin tones has made me one happy barbie fan because Mattel has finally started seeing that Barbie doesn't look like the average person and she should represent the beautiful diverse audience they are selling too!!


Today's play isn't that much different than when I was young. Children still play dress-up, play with blocks, play with fine motor toys use art materials. The only thing that has changed is the materials have evolved and are much more modern. Until I went into first grade I can remember center time. It happened daily. Today what I am seeing is that play is being reduced to less and less time and being replaced with more structured learning time and what we are seeing are restless and uninterested children. Play gave me, as a child, the chance to use my imagination and play out my fantasies. The Wizard of Oz was my favorite to watch and act out. When I became an adult and had children of my own I got to relive being able to pretend play and play with barbies and baby dolls and dress-up and it taught my children that play was wonderful and exciting.

10 comments:

  1. Comesha, I too think it is simply wonderful that children of all races, ethnicities, and cultures can now look for a barbie doll that is similar to them and they can feel beautiful, too. No longer is it acceptable to believe that a beautiful woman has to be tall, thin, with blonde hair and blue eyes. I never want to see a child be sad because she thinks she is not beautiful just because she is not blonde with blue eyes or because she is full figured or short. I think the world is changing for the better because diversity is being valued much more than it used to be. People are learning to appreciate each other for their differences as well as for their commonalities. People are learning to be kinder, more respectful, and more tolerant of each other. This is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is Violet...when my daughters saw the Barbie's online they were so excited to see more dolls that looked not only like them but other people as well. My oldest kept saying that one looks like so and so and that one looks like you momma, and that one looks like our Aunt. It was so great going through the website and seeing all those wonderful dolls.

      Delete
  2. Hi Comesha! I also loved watching Mr. Rogers on TV! "It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood" I loved this song, it always made me smile. I agree that children are being rushed academically and miss out on valuable time they should be playing and learning through play. I really believe that the problem is that many parents/caregivers do not understand the value of play, so they focus on what they think is important (reading, writing, spelling etc.) I remember that I had Barbies, but not as many as you..lol. I had both male and female Barbies and I would cut their hair, put makeup on them with washable markers and write a play for them to act out. I think my inspiration was the soap operas that my mom used to watch. Thank you for sharing!
    Myra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Myra, The Young and the Restless was my inspirational soap opera for my Barbie plays!! LOL...I told my daughters about Mr. Rogers and the way I explained the show to them they thought it was the greatest thing and wanted to know why they didn't have a show like that. I am so thrilled Week 4's assignments are taking us back to memory lane and giving us this opportunity to remember how great it was to have play in our lives.

      Delete
  3. I also played with dolls growing up. I had several Cabbage Patch dolls and I also had Korky and Kricket dolls, you remember the talking black dolls that came out that were like "Good Guy Dolls" but not like chucky. Korky and Kricket were twins dolls, a boy and a girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ronnette,

      you have me intrigued now. I have never heard of Korky and Kricket dolls? I am on my way to google after this and doing some research. I love learning about new dolls and toys I had never heard of. Thanks

      Delete
  4. Comesha,

    Great post! I love your quote from Mr. Roger's. I enjoyed his show as a child and now watch Daniel the Tiger with my children. I've never been a big fan of dolls. I remember having a cabbage patch kids and baby alive, but that's about it. I'm really surprised I wasn't into Barbie's. Do your girls like them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keisha,
      My girls us to play with barbies all the time. They are 11 and 8 and have grown out of the Barbie doll phase. I still collect them and if they every get a doll as a gift they never open it, they keep it in the box like momma does!!

      Delete
  5. Hello Comesha!

    Play has come a long way since you and I were kids. As a child we never knew the importance of play and how it is need fro children to know who they are and what they can do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is true Joannia...to us it came natural to play, it was a part of our daily lives. Technology is taking over our children and they see less and less outside time.

      Delete