Thursday, February 11, 2016


Testing for Intelligence?

I have a strong dislike for standardized testing.  I think is has been the downfall of our education system here in the U.S.  Not only in the U.S. but in the state that I live in. It not only stresses out the children but it has stunted the creative capabilities of the teachers. Because of the pressures of teaching to the test it has also taken some of our most brightest and educated teachers out of our State and to other states that pay more for the trouble they have to deal with. I feel that the work that children do throughout the school year and the grades they are getting should suffice for if they are ready for the next level.  I don't believe a test can tell that only because not everyone are good test takers.  Individualized teaching and being intentional in the classroom is a way to make sure that all children are getting the same education but on the level that they learn.

Finland

Finland is a country that stays away from high stakes test and they have the highest ranking students in the world right now.  Some of the things Finland states are the success behind their students success and their educational standards are: First there is nearly no poverty, they have socialized medicine and have plenty of funding for education.For residents, school lunches are free, preschool is free, and college is free. The second reason is all students are fluent in three languages, Finnish, Swedish, and English. The third reason is the level of respect teachers receive. They are held to the standard as doctors are in the United States. Another reason is that Finland's application process to become a teacher has high expectations. All their teachers in Finland have Master level degrees in Education. That is such a big deal. When you have that level of education you are able to bring a level of quality to the classroom that exceeds expectations. In Finland teachers focus less on data-driven decisions and more on differentiated instruction partly the result of high-quality teachers, and partly because they know their students better.


There is nothing wrong with assessing children, it is all in how you do it and the quality of the instrument that you use. Testing a child, in my opinion, is not a good way to assess the intelligence of a child. Every child is different and they learn and process information different. Not one child's brain is the same and they come from all walks of life and from different backgrounds. Getting to know our children and making the learning environment more cohesive is what makes our children thrive and succeed, not testing.

Reference

D'Orio, W. (2016).  Finland is #1 Finland's education success has the rest of the world looking north       for answers. Retrieved from http://www.scholastic.com/browse/article.jsp?id=3749880

5 comments:

  1. Hi Comesha,

    I enjoyed reading your post. You researched Finland which has the highest ranking students in the world. When I selected Korea, it has the second highest ranking students in the world. Korean students spend a lot more time in the classroom. But I agree that standardized testing does not determine students intelligence. Every child is different and learn in different ways. Some are hands-on learners. Just because they do not pass a test or certain area on the test does not mean they do not know the material. They are several factors that can contribute to low scores such as lack of sleep, anxiety, teacher did not go over the material well, and so on. You have to get to know the whole child to assess his or her intelligence level.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Comesha!

    I really like that high rankings that schools in Finland. I believe that education is very important especially for young children because it starts the foundation in which a child begins to understand the world around them and how everything works together. I also believe that assessing children is much need to determine where a child is at academically and it helps teachers and professional to create lesson plans that will implement those skills that needs strengthening so that those disable children are learning at their full potential.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your feelings on standardized testing. I also appreciated the information you supplied about Finland's education system. I like that standardized data is not their focus, but individualized education pscriptions

    ReplyDelete
  4. the dog it enter before I was finished my comment! Lol ! But, as I was saying, individualized education prescriptions as a focus sounds like a much better focus to me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Comeshia,

    I can hardly believe this is our last week in this course. It went so fast. I want to thank you for your comments in my discussions and blogs. It gave me insightful information concerning early childhood studies. I appreciate the website you submitted during this course. We also shared some stories that were passed down from our grandmothers. It brought back fond memories of my grandmother. I really enjoyed it. I hope we have more courses together in the near future. Good luck and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete