Friday, January 29, 2016

Consequences of Stress on Children's Development


Racism

When I started my first grade year I went to a predominantly white school. I actually was the only little black girl in the whole elementary school.  My mother, uncles and aunt went to this school also so it wasn't like the school district had never had African American children enrolled. Well when I was out on recess, two little white boys called me the "N" word. I didn't know what that word meant, so when I got home that afternoon I asked my grandmother what the "N" word meant.  She told me what it meant and asked where I heard it. The next day when I went to school, we were on the playground and the two boys walked up to me again and called me the "N" word again. This time I looked one of them dead in the eye and punched him in the face. I looked at the other boy and he took off running to tell the teacher on duty.  I did get sent to the Principals office and my grandmother was called but I did not get in trouble. What I received was an apology from the Principal and the boys were made to apologize and the parents had to come to the school and pick up their children. The Principal reassured me that what the boys did was not appropriate and that if it ever happened again to ask to come to him and report it myself. After that incident I was taught how to handle situations such as these by not using force but using my words.  It happened again in second grade but a friend of mine decided he didn't like it and he took up for me on that incident. I was never referred to by that term again after that, at least not to my face anyway. The derogatory word has never been a word I condone or liked. I don't even understand how even other African Americans can use the word toward other African Americans. The history behind that word has too much negativity. So I educate my children to know that the word is never ok to use.

Environmental Pollution

The region and country I am choosing to discuss is right here on our very own soil. The citizens of Flint, Michigan are having to live in an environment where the water is not even drinkable or even safe to bathe in. To me as a citizen of a country that is suppose to be so rich, our government is letting our cities and our school systems fall apart. It is such a shame to call our country the land of the free. Flint, Michigan isn't the only city that has issues but it is the one that is having the most issues environmentally in our country.  The children of Flint have been pictured with their skin being affected with sores and dry patches and some of the children are losing their hair because of the water. With the amounts of lead in the water that can affect a child's health and even cause lead poisoning in children.  Lead can interfere with the production of blood cells and the absorption of calcium that bones need to grow healthy and strong. Calcium is essential for strong bones and teeth, muscle contraction, and nerve and blood vessel function.  Lead poisoning can lead to a variety of health problems in kids, including: decreased bone and muscle growth, poor muscle coordination, damage to the nervous system, kidneys, and/or hearing, speech and language problems, developmental delay, seizures and unconsciousness (in cases of extremely high lead levels). (Kids Health, 2015)

Unfortunately the children of Flint are going to have to depend on the adults in government to have their best interest at heart and hurry to find a solution to fix the contaminated water that the citizens are being exposed to. The stressors the parents are having to face can only trickle down to the children and when the parents of those children who are showing signs of the affects of the water come forth just makes this situation even worse.

A few links on the crisis in Flint, Michigan




Reference

Kids Health (2015). Lead Poisioning. Retrieved on January 29, 2016 from
     http://kidshealth.org/parent/firstaid_safe/home/lead_poisoning.html









2 comments:

  1. Hi Comesha,

    I am so sorry you had to experience racism as a child. At least your parents told you what it meant. I am so glad society has changed, and we all can get along together. I hope that the government can change your state of Michigan. This is so sad to know that the water is contaminated. Of course, this will cause health problems and concerns. I pray a solution to this problem is on the way soon. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Comesha!

    I see you had a similar incident as a child with the "N" word. My daughter have the same ordeal. But in her situation it was an Hispanic woman. my daughter was playing with her daughter all day that day and we she came home from work she saw her and my daughter playing. The lady walked up to her daughter and grabbed her by the arm and told her that she don't play with "N's" and that situation confused my daughter for a long times.

    ReplyDelete