Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Proverbs 22:6 "Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old, he will not depart from it."  This is one of many favorite bible scriptures of mine. It is something that I hold dear and truly believe.  My grandparents were very influential in my life and still are. They were my foundation as a child, my example of what an adult should be, my first early childhood educators. As a child they taught me how to love, be kind and have a great love for learning. As a child they taught me to treat people as I wanted to be treated. They shaped the person I am today. Some of our children today do not have the same solid foundation to help build them to be productive adults. They instilled in me the importance of family.  I had the greatest privilege to spend half of my life with my Great-Great Grandmother Hattie Smith and she was the sweetest woman with the biggest of hearts, she passed away during my 10th grade year of high school. She lived with my maternal grandparents, she was my grandmother's, grandmother. My maternal grandfather Jess Shannon was a pastor and he was a huge, tall man with a heart to match who loved to help others and provide for his family. Growing up he was my very own personal big loving teddy bear, he passed away 5 years ago. The woman that I have to give all credit for helping me become the woman that I am today is my maternal grandmother Alma Shannon. This woman is the closest thing to God I have, meaning, when she prays God hears her and he listens. She is my counselor, my spiritual advisor and my shoulder to cry on, the person that I do not hesitate to call when I need her.  My daughters are so blessed to also have this woman in their life to help me shape them into wonderful young women. 

As Early Childhood Educators and Professionals we are apart of a child's daily life, their second family.  We help shape and inspire a young child. At the end of the day our greatest hope is that once that child is no longer in our care and grows up and is out in the world, that they take whatever influence we had on them along with them. We hope that the kindness and love we showed that child gave them the hope that they know they always have someone to come back to if they feel they have no one else to turn too. We impact the lives of the children we care for and when they are grown we hope they will not depart from the teachings, the learning, the independence and the unconditional love we showed them.

 
Top Left Picture is my Grandmother Alma Shannon. The top right picture is of my Grandmother and Grandfather Jess Shannon. The middle picture on the right is me when I was 3, my Great-Great Grandmother Hattie Smith holding me and my Grandfather. The bottom left picture is me at age 5 and the bottom right picture is a current picture of me today. I am who I am because of the love of these people. I hope to take what they have given me and share it with my future students. With the children I come in contact with I show them the same unconditional love that my grandparents showed me. I want those children to forever know that they always have someone out in this world that loves them no matter what.

4 comments:

  1. Comesha, we share something in common as I lived with my grandma for a few years when I was little. She has always been my rock! She is the reason I know about God. She is one of the most faithful people I have ever known! I love your blog! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, I didn't know that. I do know you talk about your grandmother a lot but never knew this. We do have a lot in common. That is probably why we look at things so similar. Old school love and teaching can go a long way!!! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to let you know that I re-read your blogs. I hope we end up in a group together again in the future! My extended family helped raise me throughout my life, too. What is it you hope to do in the future? My ideas seem to be constantly changing lately! Whatever it is, I wish you much success! Merry Christmas, and God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly,

    I hope we are in a group again as well. I feel such a connection with all of you and hope that we cross each other's paths soon. I have so much I want to do in the future but mostly teach adults in the field of Early Childhood. I already do that with my current job by providing trainings in certain areas of the field, but I do want to teach college and also maybe own my own daycare centers. I wish you much success as well. Merry Christmas to you and have a Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete